Weekend Movie Reviews

I saw two movies that were polar opposites this weekend.

Juno (PG-13): I laughed. I cried. It was overall a pretty great movie. Ellen Page is the young actress playing Juno. She did a very good job playing the quirky straightforward pregnant teenager. Michael Cera also was hilarious as the baby daddy. Jennifer Garner was so touching as the adoptive mother who just wanted a baby. Jason Bateman was fun to watch but his role kind of bothered me. I won't say more about that because I don't want to ruin it for you. Rainn Wilson's cameo at the beginning was absolutely hilarious. There were a few inappropriate/kind of gross parts, especially at the beginning. (Such as her sitting on the toilet taking the pregnancy test.) In all I really liked it and I can see why people are predicting it is going to probably win some big awards. I think just about everyone will like this movie.

Cloverfield (PG-13): Warning: Unless you are superhuman, you will get at least a small headache during this movie if you see it in the theater. I've been looking forward to seeing this movie since I first saw the trailer for it probably 5 months ago when they were just calling it "1-18-08." The whole movie is done on a hand-held camera making it very very jumpy. Thus the headache warning. If you're prone to motion sickness, I'd even recommend some Dramamine. I just got a little bit of a headache. Jon got sick to his stomach. If you think that this is going to be a scary movie, it's not. Just a monster movie. I don't want to tell too much since the whole premise of its promotion leading up to its release was secretive. The whole thing was exciting but a few times there were things that were ridiculous. (Cell phones don't work in the subway in New York!) They left the end wide open for a sequel, which I would definitely see. If you like destruction movies, you'll like it.

Movies in theaters that I STILL want to see: The Bucket List, Mad Money, I Am Legend, Atonement, The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything, Sweeney Todd, Charlie Wilson's War, The Great Debaters, and No Country for Old Men.

0 comments: